Duo is a two-step verification method used by BYU. The below process takes about 5-10 minutes. Please make sure that you have time to complete the entire process in one sitting. Stopping part-way through the enrollment will lock your account.
Note: As of June 30, 2017, specific BYU web sites will require Duo authentication in order to access them. Additional BYU web sites will be added to require Duo authentication periodically over the coming year. Additionally, during Fall semester 2017, all employees (including student employees) will be required to enroll in Duo.
Enrolling in Duo is a two-part process.
- Sign up for Duo
- To sign up using a smartphone: KB0028977
- To sign up using a generic cell phone: KB0028976
- To sign up using a tablet: KB0028980
- To sign up using a landline: KB0028975
- To sign up using a U2F key: KB0028981
- To sign up using a Duo D100 token: KB0028982
- Prove it was really you who signed up
- To prove it was really you from duo.byu.edu: KB0028997
- To prove it was really you from a sensitive data page: KB0028996
Once you've enrolled in Duo, you will have to authenticate using one of the following methods:
- Send Me a Push: You will get a notification on your phone. Select Approve to complete your authentication.
- Call Me: An automated message will call your phone. Answer, then push any button on your phone's keypad.
- Enter a Passcode: You will either need to generate a passcode from within the app or select an option that will send you a text message with several one-time use codes. If you click on "enter a passcode," there will be a blue bar (if you don't see it, try scrolling) that will let you request passcodes via text. For more information on passcodes, see KB0028921.
- Remember me for 30 days: For your convenience, it is recommended that you check this box every time you see the screen below. Then, continue to log in using "Send me a Push," "Call Me," or "Enter a Passcode." As long as you use the same browser on the same device (and don't clear your cookies), you won't be bothered by Duo again for 30 days! (Note: You can check this box on as many browsers and devices as you want.)
- Note: For more information about Duo's sign-in options, see KB0028959.